top of page

The do's and don'ts of scrapping your vehicle

If you are thinking of scrapping your vehicle, it can be a bit daunting to know what to do or even where to start.  

We have put together some simple do's and don'ts to help.  

  1. Obtaining a quote:  When it is time to part with a vehicle that is not possible to sell on, you may need to look for companies that pay for your 'scrap vehicle' and collect it for you.  Most of the time these are vehicles that are no longer running, MOT failures or vehicles that have been involved in an accident.  You could look into taking your vehicle to ATF yard yourself but often having transport to do this is an issue!  Google 'scrap my car' or 'local scrap car collection' and a wealth of companies that could assist will come up.  Do ensure you enquire with at least three companies to get a fair price for your vehicle, and check out their reviews on their website and on Google to ensure you choose a company you can trust as well as a company that offer you a good price.  

  2. Companies that offer cash only:  This is a warning sign it is not a trusted company!  Under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act, introduced last October to combat metal theft, it is illegal for anyone to pay cash for scrap cars. Most companies will issue a cheque or make a payment directly into your bank account. When selling, you are likely to have to give proof of identification, such as your driving licence or passport.

  3. Trusting a company to scrap your vehicle:  As mentioned above, first check is the website and genuine reviews of previous companies.  You can check this on their Google listing, Facebook page or on their website.  It can be helpful to call the company you are interested in using and get a feel for them.  Ensure the company you choose assist you with any questions you may have and offer you a full Certificate of Destruction.  

  4. Certificate of Destruction: Find your V5 ownership document, follow the instructions and send the relevant part to the DVLA.  This should confirm to you that you're no longer responsible for the car. The company you choose should send you a full Certificate of Destruction, and should also tell the DVLA you don't own the car anymore.  But it helps to ensure this happens.  

  5. Claim back your road tax:  Once your vehicle has been scrapped, it is likely that the DVLA will refund your unused road fund license automatically.  However, we can ensure this happens and promptly.  Just download the V14 form from the DVLA and returning it along with your tax disc to them.  

Call Us for a free estimate

01621 851392


07956 880667

bottom of page